Thursday, April 24, 2014

Walking a 5k

    I've been preparing to walk a 5k to raise money for Abolition International, a ministry founded by Natalie Grant that fights human trafficking. During the Christie Clinic Marathon, many fellow listeners of WBGL, a christian radio station, will be walking and running to raise funds for Abolition International. They will be using it to build a home in Tennessee for victims rescued  from our area to find hope and healing in Jesus. These women and children need our help and prayers.
    While I was walking the other day, I felt pain surging through my legs, a consequence for walking more than my usual distance. I thought to myself, what's the point? I mean, even if we (the White Family) do reach  our goal ($500), that's hardly enough to buy a chair. How is a chair going to help anything?
    As I thought about it, I got an answer. Using the gift of imagination, I pictured a girl sitting in that chair. It's a comfy chair with arm rests and everything. Now I imagine a woman sitting next to her. They are in a deep conversation, sipping their coffees as the morning sunlight shines through the open window.
    During the conversation, the girl lets out her heart. Remembering the horror of her previous life, the tears come to free her long-reserved soul. The chair is damped by the relieving tears.
    The scene is much the same for a long while; in the course of that time, the once enslaved girl is set free by giving her heart to Jesus, Friend of sinners. In that chair, a life becomes new.
    Now, remember that this is only my imagination.
    Another thought comes to my mind. It's obvious, I knew it before, I just didn't think about it: We're all working together on this. The whole WBGL team is working, it's not just the White Family. Every donation counts. Just because you're only giving $10 doesn't change the truth: All those "just $10" will add up to a lot more.
    So there is a point. Yes, we will (Lord willing) get the house built. Yes, the chair is important. Yes, your $10 does count. These victims need our help. And maybe most of all, they need our prayers. 
 Click here to give.         

2 comments: