I've also been learning about family history. Mom was looking through some of her files and found a letter from her dad's dad, Julius Kuhr, to his future wife, Katherine Haldorf, whom I was named after. It reads:
Elmhurst Jan. 30-1936
"My dearest Katie.
Be careful about the nose of yours and don't let it freeze too much. Temperature 21 below don't feel so hot does it? It is warming up a little here, only zero now but it was about 4 below when I got up.
I took the hens back to the henhouse the other day and I hope l don't have to mind them again because a basement isn't really a place for chickens.
about four aclock
Every morning the rooster let me know that he was still there but I did nt like the idea of him awaken me that early in the morning.
I wrote to Blair [where most of his family was, Mom says] a few days after I got back, but havent heard from them yet and most likely wont for several months to come.
No I have nt had anybody stay with me overnight since Chris left, years ago but l am looking forward to when you can stay with me every night and of course every day too.
I should have had sense enough not to get so close to you when I had a cold but my feelings are sometimes stronger than ___ ___ [?] and therefore do things which I hadn't ought to. I really think I am the cause of you having a sore throat and I guess that is what Mrs. Hansen meant.well next time I happen to be with you and I have cold I will try and control myself, do you think I can?
Yesterday afternoon Nils was down here and when he left I went with him up town to get a haircut, but when I got there the door was locked of course then I got to remember that all barbershops closes Vendsday afternoon, and so I'll have to take another walk up there today.
Tuesday I fixed my car and then drove to the union hall to get my name on the list and told them not to forget to call me up whenever some more men were needed. This cold weather didn't agree so well with my hens. Don't get so many eggs as I used to, but even so I get enough to keep me going. Am still caughing a little at times but not bad.
Goodbye and wach your nose.
Love,
J"
(My great-grandpa was from Denmark, and English was his second language.)
Well, that's all the history for now. I hope you all have a blessed day!
Grace and peace,

That is so cool!
ReplyDeleteI felt like I was reading a book!
Awww, that's so sweet!!
ReplyDeleteAnd it's so cool to think that it is real. A man actually wrote that to the woman he loved. And if it weren't for them we wouldn't be here!
Thanks for sharing, Katherine!